Featured post

Antidote - Simple Plan

Canadian 5-piece  Simple Plan  released new debut single  The Antidote  over a week ago and it does not disappoint. The group is known for t...

Friday 1 February 2019

15 years, and 6 albums, Bring Me The Horizon finally show the world they won't apologise for being who they are!

Dance, Rock, Pop, Electronic, Trap. You name it, this album might have it. From unapologetic vocalists, to cinematiceque orchestral strings and thunderous drums to plummet into the mix, this 13 track album, has a little for everyone. Except those who are too picky.  


Bring Me The Horizon (BMTH), British rock band from Sheffield, South Yorkshire have recently released sixth debut album 'Amo'. A 13 track album, featuring artists Grimes, Dani Filth and Rahzel. Originally set to be released January 11th, got pushed back 2 weeks to January 25th as the band wanted to perfect things on the album, and bring out and album they can fully, stand behind and be proud of.  


'i apologise if you feel something' is the opening piece on the album, that introduces the album in all it's glory with its theme of love. This track has an overwhelming rush of emotions relating to the feeling of love, which leads seamlessly into Mantra. The song, is more of a jam than a full song and is the perfect way to open up the album because it shows a classic BMTH sound, which draws in the fans. "I saw you staring" at the song list and although some fans feel fooled by the first single on the album to be released this album is exactly what many have been "waiting for". 

'MANTRA' substantially the comeback song on the album. This single was the first song released off this album, and excited fans new and old for new music after a long awaited 4 years. With roaring guitar riffs and crashing drum beats this song "will set you free" from waiting for music since the 2015 album That's The Spirit. "Could I have your attention please?" This song without a doubt showcases typical BMTH roots, which for the fans may be a good thing. 'Nihilist Blues' the first track on the album to feature another artist, the one and only Grimes. This electronic dancesque rock track is the first official song on the album that showcases the different sound paths the band wanted to explore, like "I'm going white, I'm going black, I'm going blue". 

'in the dark' is a melodic shift in the album in a heavy instrumental way, with it's fetching lyrics it was a pivotal observation into the dark pop BMTH brought to the album, which arguably was inspired by bands such as Tame Impala. "Jesus Christ you're so damn cold" to believe that this new era of BMTH isn't a fresh euphoric adventure to scrutinise.  

'wonderful life' there's "no need for the obvious" but the {thunderous} drums on this track make it one of the heavier ones on the album. A refreshing throwback to their roots with some elements, and "I'm on the edge" with this weird yet wonderful song because this song was another one on this album that featured another artist. Dani Filth was the featured voice however it is hard to tell whether he adds anything to this track or not. 'ouch' is one of two interludes on this album. It typically is a filler "jam" track that has been used to split up the different sounds, and foreshadows the upcoming songs. Using this track as an interlude, creates a coherent transition into Medicine, "I always knew" this album would be a lot different from the previous albums in their discography however it is only after listening to this album that it truly shows. 

'medicine' is the most pop song on the album. This song is a positive spin on a toxic relationship, an example of being blinded by love but not being angry at it, just needing to voice how it feels when someone "dragged me through the mud" because "some people are a lot like clouds" and others aren't. This vastly memorable pop song, is most likely fans guilty pleasure song on this album, as they don't want to stray from their genre roots, if they're stuck strictly in one genre. 'sugar honey ice & tea' is yet another heavy song on this album and delving "too close for comfort" into the cliche of a head bopper. It visits the societal beliefs and ideas on love alongside a personal touch of people's personal choices. 


Trappy beats, and a mix of genre sounds 'why you gotta kick me when i'm down' is a juicy connotation into the relationship that frontman Oli Sykes has with fans, using a heavy element of rap on this track stemming back to the original roots of the band, "why you tryna put me in the ground" which despite being written in 2018 sounds like it should be the soundtrack for the characters in Pretty Little Liars, it is a memorable song that is sure to stick in your head with the repetitive chorus and the rather enjoyable riffs. 

Time for another interlude? Apparently so, with the trippy melodic beats that have a vibey beat drop a minute in 'fresh bruises' is the groove to make you move. 

The only love song you have ever heard Sykes write, with the heart on the sleeve vibe alongside the; there's no better feeling than love. 'mother tongue' is the "I didn't see it coming" from BMTH love song despite it's heavy instrumental led background and its rap segments. Now it's time for a song for the haters, 'heavy metal' A self referential song pegged at the haters and the social media trolls that spark an up rise from the band. "I keep pickin' petals" listening to this classic rap element of BMTH who are clearly very unapologetic to the haters, and rightfully so. 

Finally, we come to the end of the album with  'i don't know what to say' which is the longest song on this album coming up to almost 6 minutes long, and is the only song to use orchestral strings in it's backing track. It was written about Sykes' childhood friend who died from Cancer, and it explores the strength that his friend had during his life and how at the weakest point in his life, he was at his most powerful. This song is not a song that dwells on the heartache or the anger but is a way of remembering how "I saw the universe hidden in your heart" and is strictly a celebration, of his friends life.




_________________________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________________________


My overall thoughts on this album?


I'm not going to sit here and pretend like the first time I heard this album, I fell for it because I didn't. In fact out of 13 tracks, and 9 of them I hadn't heard before I wasn't exactly blown away. I didn't hate the album but equally I wasn't in love with it either. To me only 3 of the songs I hadn't heard pleased me straight off the bat. 

  • in the dark
  • sugar honey ice & tea
  • why you gotta kick me when i'm down

But I was so quick to judge! I was putting my expectations for an album too high. It use to be very rare that I liked every song off an album until I began to listen to an album all at once and, I couldn't tell if I was growing or if albums were just being made better and better. To be honest I still haven't figured that part out yet. However this album. What can I say? If I had been asked to rate this album, I would most likely have given it atleast a 7, and considering Bring Me The Horizon are one of my favourite bands, that is far from high but the more I listened to the full album and watched interviews about the album, the more me and the album became acquainted. Needless to say I love this album now. 

Yes, this juxtaposes massively with my first reaction, however I was willing to give this album a chance because it was Bring Me...it was a band that I have grown up listening to and although Sempiternal will forever be my favourite, Amo has a lot to say for itself. 

For starters this album is polarising! Fans, are going through the typical love-hate relationship stage like they did back when Suicide Season was first released and to be fair, I can totally see why. Nevertheless despite the polarising feature that seems to be sparking attention, it's roaring riffs and raspy vocals are reminiscent to those fans of Linkin Park in the early stages of their careers. Fans are merely lashing out with their hatred on this album because it is not deathcore, or metalcore like ones had hoped but not every band can succeed like The Beatles, where the same sound works for them and their fans. Bring Me The Horizon are in a versatile genre where their sound will change and adapt, unfortunately some fans just can't handle that for the time being, there isn't going to be another 'Suicide Season', 'There is a Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There is a Heaven, Let's Keep It a Secret' era. That's not to say somewhere in the future there won't be, but they are experimenting with sound and it's clear that fans must like it in someway or another as they are rising through the charts, potentially rising to their first number one spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.